Skip navigation

A History of Brickendon

Some Pictures

Brickendon Green c. 1925 - the western end looking north towards Fanshaws Farm

Brickendon Lane in 1902

Brickendonbury house, south front c. 1881

Brickendon Grange

Fanshaws c. 1904

Isabella (right) and her sister Nora Grand at the entrance to Fanshaws

Clements Cottages

The Five Horseshoes in the foreground with the Farmer’s Boy behind c. 1910

The Chapel of the Holy Cross and St Alban with its extension in 2002

Bourne Orchard in 1905

Wormley West End looking towards the Woodman

Coal posts in Wormley Wood and on Holy Cross Hill


A wedding party at the Woodman, at this time selling Christies ales, c. 1907

Etteridge Farm in 1946

Pembridge Farm in 1946, once a beer house named the Green Man

Sewards Farm Cottages, which replaced a terrace of cottages known as Paradise Row

Keepers Cottage at Monks Green in 1912 with the three youngest daughters of assistant keeper Charlie King

Building the Great Bonfire to commemorate the coronation of King George V, 22 June 1911

Volunteers from Brickendon passing Well Green in 1914

Hunt meeting at Brickendon Grange in 1930